The Lucky Ones
Adventure Philanthropist Lucky Chhetri is the founder of EWN and winner of multiple international awards, including the prestigious Ashoka Fellowship. I was fortunate to volunteer with EWN for a few days while in Pokhara and learn all about their amazing work.
Here’s Lucky introducing her organization Empowering Women of Nepal (EWN):
Can’t see this video? Click on the link: Lucky & EWN
Empower Women of Nepal
The goal of EWN is to encourage Nepali women to be self-supportive, independent, decision-making women. The organization has helped more than 1,000 women over the last 10 years and works to improve the lives of Nepali women through 3 main programs:
• Trekking Guide Training – EWN teaches the young girls who enter their program not only to be trekking guides (mountaineering skills, knowledge of flora and fauna, first aid, and tough physical training), but also basic English, Nepali history and culture, hygiene, and nutrition. After the training, the young women enter a paid apprenticeship program.
• West Nepal Outreach – West Nepal is a destitute region in an already disadvantaged country. Here girls are particularly vulnerable to child labor, sex trafficking, abuse and abandonment due to poverty and illiteracy. EWN provides an outreach program that emphasizes practical skills and basic healthcare, as well as building awareness and leadership among the women and girls.
• Children’s Day Care & Boarding School – EWN also runs a small children’s center to care for the children of guest houses workers and women who away while working in the mountains as guides. Currently, 29 girls from the ages of 3-16 years are either cared for at the children’s center or are receiving educational scholarships.
Support our Sisters!
Want to support EWN’s fabulous work?
- Book your next trek through 3Sisters Adventures (www.3SistersAdventure.com) and 15% of the fee will go to support to EWN – I did!
- Donate trekking supplies to the organization so they can outfit their guides or earn income by renting out the equipment – I did! (Actually all 4 of us in our trekking party donated most of our gear to our assistants, including back packs, hiking poles, boots, fleeces, jackets, thermals, shirts, hiking pants, hats, gloves, socks…)
- Volunteer with the organization, they are especially looking for volunteers to teach English to the trekking assistants. - I did!
- Give a monetary donation to EWN to support their good works. Contact them at http://www.3sistersadventure.com/EWN/
I consider myself the lucky one to have found the 3Sisters / EWN program for my Himalayan trekking experience. You can be lucky too!
This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 and is filed under Adventure Philanthropists.