Erin Kicks Some Ass: *Video* – How to Use Self Defense Tactics to Survive an Attack – Giving U™
Donate My Dollars Poll
IMPACT is a personal safety, assertiveness and self-defense training program. It is part of a comprehensive effort to prevent sexual assault and other acts of interpersonal violence and boundary violations.
In preparation for my upcoming travels, I took the 3-day Basics course. And I was totally impressed and sore and slightly scared afterwards. I have to say, I wasn’t quite ready for the physical and emotional requirements the training demanded.
Watch me as I learn to kick some serious ass!
What We Learned
As students, we were hit with realistic scenarios, where we delivered full-force body blows during our simulated attacks. Think about your worst fears as a woman:
- • Unnerved walking down a dark street? We played it out.
- • Uncomfortable when a co-worker acts inappropriately? We addressed it.
- • Nervous when sitting in the car alone? We now have a plan.
- • Afraid of being raped or sexually assaulted? We know how to survive.
How IMPACT teaches
• Realistic Scenarios: We are coached through simulations of physical and non-physical boundary violations committed by strangers and people we know.
• Verbal Skills: IMPACT emphasizes communication strategies such as verbal de-escalation, assertive communication, and boundary-setting skills.
• Full-Force Techniques: Students are taught to protect themselves by striking vulnerable areas of an assailant’s body as hard as they can. Instructors wear a suit of full-body armor specially designed for this type of training.
• Emotional Support: Coaches offer a physically safe and emotionally supportive environment, which allows students to increase self-confidence and skills and enhance their sense of personal power.
IMPACT believes that people are powerful and capable of protecting themselves. Each chapter is also committed to a teaching environment with women in leadership roles.
As a strong woman, I didn’t think I could be more empowered than I already am. But, of course, I was wrong.
My 3-day IMPACT course was one of the most intense experiences of my life. I urge you all to sign up today and learn how to create social change, prevent abuse, and support healing. Do it!
This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 27th, 2010 and is filed under Donate My Dollars.