Drop in the Bucket
Drop in the Bucket is a nonprofit organization that has built nearly 100 wells in East Africa. These wells provide clean, safe drinking water and sanitation to tens of thousands of people.
These wells have literally changed the lives of everyone in the community – for the kids who no longer need to decide whether to walk to the well or to walk to school, or the women of the villages who now have the extra time and extra water to grow a garden. These wells and the water they supply are truly life changing.
Watch the video!
Can’t see this video? Click on the link Drop in the Bucket
Top 10 Water Facts
Here’s more information on the importance of clean water:
- 1. More than half of Africa’s people lack access to safe drinking water
- 2. Each flush of the toilet uses the same amount of water that one person in the Third World uses all day for washing, cleaning, cooking and drinking.
- 3. 12 million people die each year from lack of safe drinking water, including more than 3 million who die from waterborne diseases.
- 4. 80% of the disease in developing countries is related to poor drinking water and sanitation.
- 5. The average distance a woman in Africa and Asia walks to collect water is 3.75 miles.
- 6. The weight of water that women in Asia and Africa carry on their heads is equivalent to the maximum baggage weight allowed by airlines: 44 lbs
- 7. In some parts of Africa, women expend as much as 85% of their daily energy intake on getting water, increasing incidences of anemia and other health problems.
- 8. If the world’s water fit into a one gallon bucket, all of the water available to us to drink would be the equivalent of only one tablespoon.
- 9. Every day 10,000 children under the age of 5 die from water-related illnesses.
- 10. Every $1 spent on water and sanitation generates a return of $9 in saved time, increased productivity and reduced health costs in Africa.
Support my Project for Awesome and Drop in the Bucket today!
This entry was posted on Thursday, December 16th, 2010 and is filed under Giving U® Videos.