Erin’s Summer of Fun is Here! An Update on Women’s Rights
Washington D.C. – May 12, 2010
OK – I’m tired of working so hard – and a reprieve is just around the corner! Saturday I return from my business trip in D.C. and I’ll be home for a full 2 ½ months – -Yahoo! (OK, I have one small business trip to Chicago during that time, but essentially I get to enjoy home sweet home!)
I’m thinking of kicking off my Summer of Fun by getting a massage here at the Mayflower Hotel. So tempting! I think I might need an “Aroma Journey Massage.” When I was a corporate road warrior, I used to order a masseuse up to the room sometimes. It was so very….ah, never mind.
Part of my Summer of Fun is hitting the gym. I haven’t worked out FOREVER and I totally needed to snap those endorphins. So I’m on the Stairmaster, music super loud and flipping through a magazine I picked up: Professional Women’s Multicultural Magazine. Now a red-head, I think I qualify.
It had an article about Women’s History Month, which is March – the magazine must’ve been sitting there a while. It highlighted a few facts I already knew:
- • Women still only earn 77 cents for every $1 earned by men.
- • There are 155.8 million females in the U.S. (compared to 151.8 million men).
- • Wives earned at least $5,000 or more than their husbands in only 18% of married couples.
And a few facts I didn’t know — Factoids to celebrate!
- • 38% of women work in management, professional, and related occupations (compared to 32% of men).
- • 55% of college students are women.
- • More than 3.1 million girls participated in high school athletics.
- • 66% of females voted in the 2008 Presidential election (compared to 62% of men).
Most of those stats all seem to be about women excelling – Nice stuff! I think this really is going to be a fun summer! )
p.s. I know mid-May isn’t technically considered “summer,” but it is in my world!
This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 12th, 2010 and is filed under Erin Then.