Packing: RTW Trip – Gear *Video*
When I travel, I don’t tend to take a lot of clothes. (Well, not that many anyway…) What I do take is a lot of is gear, which is a bummer, because gear is HEAVY!
I have a tendency to buy really nifty travel gadgets that may not actually be that useful. Or rather, they may be totally useful for the one time in 2 years that I’ll use them.
7 Questions to Ask as You Pack
Since I’m a “work in progress” in this area, I try and ask myself a number of questions before placing the current object of my affection in my bag:
1. How often do I think I’ll use this? My rule of thumb is at least 10 times before the item gets consideration.
2. Is the item seasonal? (ie: No down vest when I’m basically following the sun)
3. Can I substitute something else that will work almost as well? (ie: Will a sweater and scarf do in place of the vest?).
4. Is the item related to good health? I make allowances for items like Imodium that you need when you need it.)
5. Will the item bring me immense joy? (ie: my iPod)
6. Can I buy the item overseas? (What can’t you buy in most major cities?)
7. How much does it weigh? (Seriously, put it on a scale – you’ll be shocked how it adds up!)
Check out this video of all the gear I originally took on my 2-year journey. It’s a lot.
Honestly, I’ve left more than half of it behind in various cities along the way. What do you think got cut?
This entry was posted on Saturday, June 4th, 2011 and is filed under What to Pack.