Washington D.C. – May 15, 2010
I’m in our nation’s capital for the week to attend a conference put on by the Coalition of Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans. Here’re some disturbing facts about our ongoing wars – which we hear precious little about these days.
- • More than 2 million American men and women have been deployed in Iraq & Afghanistan
- • 36% of Americans don’t know anyone who’s served in these wars. (I was part of this percentage up until April.)
- • Nearly 22% of OIF/OAF veterans are unemployed
- • 200,000 OIF/OAF are homeless
- • 42% of American have donated to a cause in support of troops and veterans — Good Stuff!
While I didn’t get out of the hotel much (hardly at all!), I did learn a lot. Making it a worthwhile week in Washington. I like it!
This entry was posted on Saturday, May 15th, 2010 and is filed under North America.