Overland Trucking: Rules of the Road *Videos*
I’m just off my fabulous Acacia Africa 19-day Desert Tracker tour. So now I’m immensely qualified to give advice on how to most enjoy your upcoming overland truck tour.
Here’s the skinny on how to thrive on big tires:
Cultivate Team Spirit
With up to 24 people riding around in a truck for 3+ weeks, you need a system. Luckily, there is a system!
As a “participation” tour, you’re expected to pitch in around the campsite. On your third day of the tour, you will be divided into 5 teams:
• Cooking – Fun! Since our Supreme (Tour) Leader Jay is a former chef, we actually learned a few recipes, including how to make bread, bobotie (a type of Cape Malay curry), and ox-tail and dumpling stew. Yum!
• Packing – Tougher than it looks. There’s a serious science to putting away the camp chairs, the sleeping mats and the tents. The advantage, if your friends don’t fold their tents correctly so that they fit in the truck – they’re the ones who need to re-fold!
• Washing – The worse! Our team perfected the wash cycle with a double wash, single rinse game plan. So 2 people washing, 1 rinsing, and 1 drying. Piece of cake once you got the rhythm going. I found humming the theme song to Rocky also helped.
• Truck Cleaning – Pretty cush job, especially with 4 of you. Unless it rains, then the truck gets muddy and you need to mop. But it almost never rains in Southern Africa…
• Day Off! – Whoo Hoo! Well deserved!
Take the Truck Tour
In my book, forewarned is forearmed. So take a minute (actually 3 minutes) to watch this overland truck tour video. You’ll see why Acacia Africa is one of the most well-regarded tour companies. Gear is important and we had good gear!
Can’t see this video Click this link: http://youtu.be/yZKpAUlNJek
Learn the Top 10 Overland Truck Rules
There are a couple of simple rules (Ok, 10) that will make the trip go smoothly for everyone. Here’re my tour buddies spelling them out for you!
Can’t see this video Click this link: http://youtu.be/rjTjqFhc2Ck
Overland Truckers Unite!
That’s it – some helpful tips for you! Now you’re ready to embark on an unforgettable journey. I had one of the best times of my life during the Desert Tracker tour – and I know you will too!
I was lucky to be on Acacia Africa’s 19-day Desert Tracker safari from Cape Town, South Africa to Livingstone, Zambia. It was an unforgettable experience and I highly recommend you check them out if you’re planning an Africa adventure!